Did you ever
dream of talking to a mermaid?
Can you imagine
facing off with a bully who
barely reaches your knees?
What would you do
with a box of golden coins?
Have you ever
said thank you to...a button?
And how would you respond if you met a magic genie who asked you for a handout instead of granting you a wish?
Free to Be...You and Me creator Marlo Thomas has once again produced a joyful volume for children and the grown-ups in their lives. Reaching into the heads and hearts of our most acclaimed writers, artists, and performers, Thanks & Giving celebrates the best things in life -- family, friendship, giving, thankfulness, and love (and just for fun, a few of their opposites -- stinginess, bullying, ingratitude, and the occasional urge to stamp your feet and throw a fit).
From Tiger Woods and Maurice Sendak to Hilary Duff and Newbery Medalist Kate DiCamillo, this colorful collection of stories, poems, and songs will take readers on a lighthearted and thoughtful (but never overserious) adventure. Whether you're gazing at the brilliant child's-eye paintings of illustrator Eric Carle, or laughing out loud at the off-the-wall humor of Mel Brooks, you'll enjoy every step of the magical journey that the creators of Thanks & Giving have planned for you:
• Delight in Jon Scieszka and Lane Smith's fractured fable starring a mouse, a bird, and a sausage who learn all about sharing -- the hard way.
• Hold on tight as Rosie Perez recounts the tale of a little girl confronted with a heart-stopping decision.
• Rock along with Kevin and Michael Bacon's funky valentine to sibling rivalry and brotherly love.
• And laugh with Ray Romano as he reveals how his life was changed by a giant burrito.
Designed for both cover-to-cover reading and selective excerpting (when you can't refuse that last impassioned call for "One more story!" just before lights-out), this sparkling anthology also includes marvelous contributions from Avi, Shel Silverstein, Tom Chapin, Arthur creator Marc Brown, Matt Groening, Deepak Chopra, Donald Trump, Frankie Muniz, Walter Dean Myers, Paul Newman, Sumner Redstone, Jerry Pinkney, Whoopi Goldberg, Sonia Manzano, the Sesame Street Muppets, Julianne Moore, Ed Koren, Wendy Wasserstein, and Paul O. Zelinsky.
- Publisher : Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (November 2, 2004)
- Language : English
- Hardcover : 96 pages
- ISBN-10 : 0689877323
- ISBN-13 : 978-0689877322
- Reading age : 6 - 12 years
- Grade level : 1 - 7
- Item Weight : 1.47 pounds
- Dimensions : 8.5 x 0.5 x 11 inches